Sleep Metro is entirely supported by its readers. When you purchase any product through the referral links on our site, we receive a commission at no additional expense to you. This helps us with the expenses associated with running our site, so that we may keep the information updated and relevant. Need to know more? Read about our research and review process.
Novosbed was founded by Sam Prochazka, who refers to himself as a “mattress connoisseur.”
He and his two siblings started Novosbed in 2009 to eliminate the stress of going to a mattress store.
Eight years later, they make one of the most beloved and high-quality beds-in-a-box. The company is environmentally friendly and its bed offers supreme comfort.
Is it truly one of the best mattresses for heavy people? Read my review to find out if Novosbed is the right fit for you.
Category A: Mattress Features
Components of the Mattress
Type of Mattress
11 inches total
Combination memory foam
for all 3 layers
Total weight for king size:
2 inches of ultra-dense
4 lbs/cubic ft. airflow
Helps keeps mattress cool
Soft, Medium, and Firm
2 inches ultra-dense
5 lbs/cubic ft. memory foam
Contours to your body shape. Layer adds bounce.
7-inch supportive foam layer with a density of
1.8 lbs/cubic ft.
Maintains the correct balance between conforming comfort and proper support. It ensures the endurance and longevity of the mattress.
Novosbed is available in Soft, Medium, and Firm, all of which are 11 inches thick. The Firm is most recommended for heavier sleepers, because it sinks the least.
On a scale of firmness out of 10, with 10 being the firmest, I would place each level at:
In addition to the 3 layers of memory foam that comprises the Novosbed, it also includes
the following features:
- The mattress is topped with a machine-washable, soft stretch-knit top cover.
- The siding is finished with durable furniture-grade upholstery to support the core and extend
the lifespan of the mattress.
- All three foams are manufactured in Allentown, PA, using a zero-waste manufacturing process. This means all materials used to make the mattresses are recycled and repurposed into
- The mattresses are certified by CertiPUR-US.
Category B: Brand Reputation
Warranty + Return/Refund Policy
Novosbed includes a 15-year Mattress Warranty that protects against defects related to faulty workmanship and materials. If, for example, your mattress forms indentations of more
than 0.75 inches, it's replaced under warranty. Novosbed also offers a 120-Night Trial,
that begins the night of delivery.
After 30 nights, you are eligible for a Comfort+ Kit, which you can use to make the mattress softer or firmer. If after 60 days, you use the Comfort+ Kit and are still dissatisfied, you may return the mattress anytime before the 120-Night Trial ends for a full refund.
Summary of Mattress Performance
- Firmness level is customizable with a
free Comfort+ Kit that's placed under the zippered cover
- Exceptional comfort
- Firm level offers full body support without sacrificing comfort
- Zippered cover is soft + pillowy
- Contours perfectly to the curves of
- Ultra-dense foam extends lifespan of mattress for a minimum 15 years
- 120-nights risk-free trial
- Withstands a maximum of 600 lbs
- Made exclusively in the USA
- Top-notch customer service
- Stress-free delivery + return/refund policy
- No-flip + requires turning only once annually
- Affordable, but not inexpensive
- Poor edge support (sags when pressure's applied)
- Couples who enjoy a healthy sex life may benefit from a mattress with more bounce (such as an innerspring or a hybrid)
- Mattress may require a minimum of
60 nights to break in
- Though the top layer is designed to maximize airflow, some sleepers report feeling hot
- Minimal off-gassing that may require several hours, and sometimes days, of airing out
Other Factors To Consider
- Users report the mattress alleviates back and joint pain and its overall support does not
sag over time.
- It helps stabilize your body to prevent tossing and turning, and when you do change positions,
you don’t disturb your partner.
- The website has a chat feature as well as customer service agents by phone who are pleasant, informative and provide detailed information in minutes.
- Novosbed works with local organizations to pick up the “returned” mattress from your home and donate it to a local charity or nonprofit.
- For an additional $99, you can arrange for White Glove Delivery. This service provides in-home setup and the option for mattress removal.
- The Queen weighs 89 lbs and the King weighs 113 lbs.
- Compatible with the Novosbed Foundation
Sleep Metro Star Rating
Construction + Cover
Durability + Quality
Off Gassing (Smell)
You’ll Benefit From The Novosbed Because...
- You prefer memory foam over innerspring or hybrid mattresses
- You are a stomach or back sleeper
- You value environmentally-friendly companies
- You require a durable, high-quality mattress at an affordable price