Sleep Metro is entirely supported by its readers. When you purchase any product through the branded referral links on my site, I receive a commission at no additional expense to you. In addition, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Need to know more? Read about my research and review process.
Tuft 'n Needle is the brainchild of software engineers JT Marino and Daehee Park.
The friends met at Penn State University. After discovering they (like many of us!) share a dissatisfaction with the level of transparency and fairness in the mattress industry, JT and Daehee set out to found their own mattress company. Their brand is built on honesty and fair pricing.
Tuft 'n Needle's custom-made Adaptive® Foam is quite impressive. Read on for my review.
Category A: Mattress Features
Components of the Mattress
Type of Mattress
10 inches total
T&N Adaptive® Foam
Perfect balance of comfort + support. Wicks heat. Breathable. Oeko-Tex certified for
Adapts to all sizes and weights
2 Layers of high-density poly foam at 2.8 lbs/cubic ft.
Provides comfort, sleeps cool and contours to your body.
High-density poly foam at
Maintains proper support and plays a role in the endurance and longevity of your mattress. Prevents quick-sand feel.
The Tuft & Needle mattress is a single firmness and the brand considers it universally comfortable, regardless of your size or weight.
The result of its unique Adaptive® Foam formula is a firmer mattress that performs remarkably well under increased pressure. This property makes it the best mattress for heavier people. Instead of sinking in, the mattress responds with resiliency.
On a scale of firmness out of 10, with 10 being the firmest, I place T&N at 6.5
Category B: Brand Reputation
Warranty + Return/Refund Policy
It's impressive that Tuft & Needle lives up to its promise to be honest and transparent. Nearly all information a mattress shopper could ever want is available on the Tuft & Needle website.
Tuft & Needle offers a 10-year warranty. It includes manufacturing defects, such as body impressions or sagging as well as cover defects, including unraveled stitching and flaws in the foam that cause it to split or crack. Tuft & Needle also offers a 100-night trial.
If there’s a problem with your mattress, Tuft & Needle requests you send a photograph of the problem. The company ships you a new mattress should you require a replacement.
However, you’re unlikely to need it, given the high number of people who say they experience the best sleep of their lives on this mattress.
Summary of Mattress Performance
- Good edge support
- Good overall support -- sleepers do not experience rolling towards the center or falling off the sides
- Sleeps cool
- Back + stomach sleepers laud this mattress for the support it provides
- Made from high-quality materials, such as a unique formula called Adaptive® Foam
- High-density poly foam layers provide comfort
- High-density base/core layer provides firm support, without the "quicksand" sensation
- Minimal motion transfer (a blessing if your partner tosses and turns)
- Easy to set up
- Made in California
- 100-nights risk-free trial
- Supports a combined weight of 1000 lbs,
or 500 lbs per person
- Firmness of mattress provides a quick response (resiliency), with decent bounce
- 10-year warranty
- Top-notch customer service
- Stress-free delivery + return/refund policy
- Emits no noise
- Affordable + great value for money
- Some sleepers complain the mattress is too firm + places undue pressure on joints in the neck, shoulders, back and hips
- Side sleepers have greater issue with the firmness than do back + stomach sleepers
- Side sleepers report numb or sore shoulders
- Mattress does not conform to your body (a sensation of lying on top of the mattress as opposed to "sinking in" )
- The off-gassing may be harsh at the onset, but dissipates after several hours
Related: Best Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
Other Factors To Consider
- Compatible with the following foundations: Box springs | Floor | Slatted frames |
- T&N Adaptive® Foam does not contain flame retardants, ozone depleters, or formaldehyde.
It’s free of mercury, lead, and other heavy metals.
- Tuft 'n Needle mattresses are certified by CertiPUR-US®
- Tuft 'n Needle arranges to pick up your "returned" mattress and donate it to a local charity
Related: Best Mattress for Back Pain
Sleep Metro Star Rating
Construction + Cover
Durability + Quality
Off Gassing (Smell)
4.1 ABOVE AVERAGE
You’ll Benefit From Tuft 'n Needle Because...
- You prefer a firmer, more supportive mattress, as opposed to a softer mattress that allows
the body to “sink in”
- You sleep with a partner who tosses and turns
- You are a back or stomach sleeper
- You're on a budget
- You prefer a mattress that sleeps cool
- You require a mattress that emits no noise