Sleep Metro is entirely supported by its readers. When you purchase any product through the branded referral links on my site, I receive a commission at no additional expense to you. In addition, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Need to know more? Read about my research and review process.
Zinus has been in business for more than 20 years and calls itself the “pioneer in comfort innovation.” With nearly 100 U.S. patents, Zinus works to continuously improve its products. It takes its customer reviews seriously, and its willingness to adapt and produce customer-driven mattresses are commendable.
Though the Performance Plus is highly recommended as one of the best mattresses for heavy, large or obese people, the mattress has its limitations. See why in my review below.
Watch the video to see how to unbox the Zinus Spring Mattress
Category A: Mattress Features
Components of the Mattress
12 inches total
(Multi-layer iCoil spring +
The combination of the coils and foam make the firm mattress supportive, yet soft.
1.5 inches of 2.5 pounds
per cubic foot of high-density
Provides a comfortable,
Relieves pressure points.
2.5 inches of high-density memory foam
Contours to your body
7.5 inches of individually wrapped iCoil
Stabilizes your body.
Supports your body from
head to toes.
Because it's exceptionally firm, Zinus provides great support for large and heavy sleepers. They are delighted this mattress is firm enough to support their body weights, while remaining soft to the touch.
On a scale of 1- 10, with 10 being the firmest, the Zinus 12-inch Performance Plus is at 8.5.
Category B: Brand Reputation
Warranty + Return/Refund Policy
Zinus offers a 10-year Limited Warranty. It covers manufacturing defects, but not wear from regular use. Zinus doesn't offer an extended trial period for its mattresses. If you're dissatisfied, you're required to re-package the mattress yourself and return it using a pre-paid return label within 30 days of delivery.
Summary of Mattress Performance
- Maintains optimal spinal alignment and alleviates your back pain
- Excellent edge support and prevents you from rolling off the sides
- Independent coils in the mattress provide minimal motion transfer
- Materials used are good quality
- Mattress construction is adequate
- Not durable
- May lose its signature extra-firm support and begin to sag after only several months of use
- Return policy is inconvenient for customers
A cut-away of the internal structure for the Zinus 12-inch Performance Plus mattress
Other Factors To Consider
- Comfort® Foam used in the Zinus is CertiPUR-US certified.
- Unboxing and setting up the Zinus mattress is a simple process that one person can easily
handle. (See video)
- The mattress is delivered compressed and rolled in a box.
- The Zinus must be unpackaged within 72 hours of delivery.
- It requires approximately 48 hours to fully inflate.
- Zinus has a great referral program. Refer a friend and receive a gel memory foam pillow set
valued at $50. Your friend receives a 10% discount on her first Zinus purchase.
- In order to maintain the support of the mattress and prevent it from sagging prematurely,
it requires turning every few months. Some users find they need to turn it every time they wash
the sheets for the mattress to retain its shape.
- Zinus offers several foundations: Beds + Headboards | Bases | Frames | Boxsprings
- Zinus does not offer an extended trial period for their mattresses. If you're dissatisfied,
you must re-package the mattress yourself and return it using a pre-paid return label
within 30 days of delivery.
Sleep Metro Star Rating
Construction + Cover
SIZE / MATTRESS
You’ll Benefit From Zinus 12-Inch Performance Plus Because…
- You're a back or side sleeper
- You require an extra-firm mattress
- You require strong edge support
- You intend to use the mattress short-term
- You need an inexpensive mattress for a guest bedroom
- Your partner tosses and turns